Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Adventures in Parisian Yoga: Mysore Yoga Paris


I'm finally setting (and sometimes even obeying) my alarm again. I’m trying to get up 7:30am as opposed to sleeping in our haven of a bed till 10:30 with Michael (who deserves that, btw- he doesn't get home till midnight and after dinner and organizing his thoughts, often doesn't sleep till 3).

So I've finally been able to enjoy a morning Mysore practice here in Paris. One notable difference I’ve seen between NYC and Paris is that here mornings don't start quite as early. Teachers are at shalas in the US and elsewhere often by 4:30 or 5am (or 1am if you ask Sharath) to practice and then begin teaching by 6. Here the earliest Mysore program I've seen is 6:45...Which is fine, by the way, with me!

After India this time around, morning practice is getting a little easier. A little. I'm up early in NY by 5:30am to teach Pilates or yoga, but I normally prefer to practice in the afternoon. My body feels more awake, less painful, less shaky and more ready to find some stillness.

But these days, being on the mat in the morning is fairly enjoyable. I might just be turning into a morning practice person! How’d that happen?!

Anyway, I dedicated a week (last week 9.17-9.21) to exploring this particular shala after getting a few recommendations. Mysore Yoga Paris is located on the right, north bank, along the canal St Martin in the 10th district. From my house it’s a 12-minute velo ride past the quiet water and quaint bridges of the canal to reach the shala. 


The practice space is located in Paris’ Shambala meditation center, a perfectly zen atmosphere that’s got palpably calm, sacred vibes going on. It’s adorned with dozens of tea light candles.

Kia Nadermier is the owner and main teacher, and she’s just lovely. From what I can gather, she’s Swedish, but we speak English in the shala. She's kind and attentive with all of her students, and her adjustments are really top notch. She's also a professional photographer, and on the website you can see some portraits of the yoga students she's done over the past year.

I've been having some (normal) back pain, and she's very helpful in offering advice on how to avoid it and work with the postures, instead of letting them work against you. 

The shala is a large room and There are several white Indian cloths (like the men wear as skirts in India) in the back that we cover ourselves with for rest after practice. I bought an eye pillow (a frivolous thing I’d never considered until I saw this one and am now quite enjoying it!) and rest after practice is really sublime here in the morning. 

There's a glow about the space and the people at Mysore Yoga Paris. I'm thinking I'll continue to go back for regular practice, though next week I'm going to check out a few other shalas. I'd really recommend this place for anyone in Paris or visiting that's looking for a peaceful atmosphere and a very kind, attentive teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment